Friday, March 12, 2010

Interview with a Playwright: Garret Groenveld

Where do you most often find inspiration? 
A: I take inspiration from my whole full life: the odd shape of someone's head on the bus, an emotional article in a trashy magazine, notes in public bathrooms or something one of my large extended family says in an off-handed way.  Most of the time, it's just the sound.

What one tip can you offer aspiring playwrights?

A: Don't be afraid to risk sentiment (let your characters be emotional), but avoid sentimentality (unearned emotion) through chosing specific details.

How did you get your start in playwriting? 
A: I won a contest in 8th grade as part of International Day with a short play about Napoleon and Josephine.

Where and when was this seed planted? 
A: I really fell in love with it when I had my first play preformed as part of PlayGround (in the very second Monday night, when it was still on Saturdays) when the Dean of the English Department, who was sitting next to me, gasped at one of my lines.
 

What was your most embarrassing high school moment?
A: When I fell asleep in French class and the teacher called on me.  I didn't know what to say, and I didn't know what the French swearwords were, and my classmate whispered to me the answer that I repeated: "Merde."  "Merde," indeed.
 

Beckett or Stoppard? One word only please.
A: Guare.  


To learn more about Garret Groenveld, visit our Resident Playwright Page at:
www.playwrightsfoundation.org/index.php?p72" 

No comments: